JOB TITLE: Accountant
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Professional
TYPE OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-Time
LOCATION: Akure, Ondo State
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
APPROVED BY: Executive Director
Life and Peace Development Organization (LAPDO) is a non-profit, non-governmental organization focused on enhancing processes towards the provision of quality life and peace for sustainable development. LAPDO as an organization involved in the social and economic advancement of Nigerians with CAC No: CAC/IT/NO 27548. The organization’s scope covers health, environmental issues including climate change & WASH, agriculture and governance. At the heart of this vision is transformation of the lives of people and empowering them for a brighter future.
To further strengthen service delivery as well as improve financial reporting, LAPDO is recruiting an experienced professional Accountant to improve documentation and reporting quality that meets the accountability standards of donors and other stakeholders. This position requires a qualified Accountant with cognate experience in NGO financing/reporting and donor management.
This position shall principally handle financial operations of the organization and produce timely and accurate financial reports. In practices, this office shall engage in cash management, payroll and taxation, financial disbursements, structured documentation and ledgers management, and making annual returns. It shall enter financial information, maintain all financial records and consolidate annual accounts for the organization.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Planning and Development
- Support the development and updating of financial policies, procedures and standards, including keeping abreast of new financial and tax laws in accordance to legal requirements and the best financial practices.
- Ensure that all staff are well informed about financial policies of LAPDO and legal requirements/reforms.
- Facilitate annual and specific project budget development.
- Conduct periodic stock/inventory taking.
- Update LAPDO’s financial policies and procedures when necessary.
- Attend relevant meetings with partners when necessary.
- Prepare and file annual returns to appropriate authorities.
- Participate actively in organization‐wide learning and other joint activities.
- Financial and Management Accounting
- Maintain LAPDO’s general accounting system (with QuickBooks software) and track expenditures related to each project.
- Prepare monthly cash flow statements for each project cost centers.
- Organize cash box and ensure that petty cash log is up to date.
- File financial data and documents in an organized and orderly way as soft copy and hard copy in line with each donor’s requirements.
- Prepare financial reports for each project in a timely manner according to organizational and donor’s requirements.
- Manage banking, and ledgers effectively including undertaking monthly bank reconciliations and foreign exchange management.
- Prepare monthly variance analysis for each project.
- Prepare staff payrolls.
- Manage employees’ benefits and taxation.
- Develop the NGO’s annual financial report in collaboration with the Auditor.
- Develop the NGO’s annual financial statement.
- Vet all financial transactions including application for disbursements and retirement of advances and sign-off each expense (invoice, receipt, Timesheets etc.).
QUALIFICATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Must be a chartered Accountant (ICAN or ACCA).
- Additional professional certifications or a postgraduate diploma will be an added advantage.
- Experienced user of QuickBooks accounting software.
- Must have at least 3-year experience in NGO accounts/financial management.
- Proficiency in MS Office skills, particularly Excel.
- Good in written and spoken English.
- Excellent administrative and planning skills.
- Good organizational skills, confidentiality, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Team spirit.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibility associated with the position.
Application Closing Date: 25th April 2021
Submission Method: All interested and qualified candidates should send their comprehensive CV and ONE PAGE COVER LETTER explaining their suitability to email@example.com using the “Job Title” as subject of the mail.
Applicants must provide functional email addresses and telephone numbers of referees.